Monthly Meeting Details
WHAT DO WE DO?
We provide garden lovers with an opportunity to share their interests with like-minded people. We offer a range of activities:
* Speakers At each meeting we have a speaker with specialist knowledge in a selected horticultural area. Recent topics have included cottage gardens, orchids, begonias, ferns, fertilisers, herbs and bonsai. Preceding this one of our members presents a short talk on a subject such a recent botanical trip, a favourite plant or a gardening problem (and possible solution).
* Show Bench The Society runs an annual point score competition among members. Members are invited to bring blooms, plants, vegetables and floral arrangements which are then judged and the best two in each class are given a small monetary prize.
* Plant Sales Each month members are encouraged to bring along their surplus cuttings, seedlings, potted up plants, bulbs and the like to share at a small cost with other members. The proceeds are then used by the Society to help with its running expenses. Twice a year members may bring plants they have grown and sell them at a meeting. The Society charges a small commission on these sales to bolster its funds.
* Outings Each year, on a (sunny) Sunday afternoon in mid September, the Society organises visits to members’ gardens. Afternoon tea is a feature not-to-be-missed.
Day trips are organized to private and public gardens, nurseries and scenic areas near Sydney several times a year. Recent visits have been to Nelson Bay, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, and Gosford. A great day out with a hearty morning tea and lunch, good company and inspiring gardens. Down load the Personal Information Form here - PERSONAL INFORMATION FORM
Longer trips of 2 to 4 days duration, are offered once or twice a year. We have been to Berry, Cowra and Grenfell, Dorrigo and Armidale in recent years. Again, special gardens and good company feature and our regular coach driver takes good care of us.
* Our History The Society was formed in 1933 and for many years was the main garden club on Sydney’s North Shore. Its membership has fluctuated over the years but the majority of its activites have continued.
See Our Timeline for more information.